Membership - Next Steps
I hope this course of who we are and what we believe at SBPC has been helpful, maybe even inspirational! If you have any questions or comments, please don't hesitate to email Tom Theriault or call him at the church office at 858-509-2580 x1210.
If you agree with the following statements:
- This is the kind of Christian community that fits me.
- I have read through this New Member information and believe it reflects who I am and where I want to grow in my life.
- I have committed my life to Jesus Christ and to His Kingdom on earth and I want to be a faithful member of Solana Beach Presbyterian Church.
...then you're ready for Step #2!
If you are not ready to join the church yet, or make a commitment to Christ, we still want you to become involved and learn as much as you can about what it means to be a follower of Christ and how SBPC works to live that out. You can come back and finish the membership process at any time.
Fill out the New Member Information Form
(at least one week prior to a New Member Seminar - see step #3)
Before you begin, I need to explain two parts of the information form.
First, you'll notice a question about baptism. With most Christians, Presbyterians understand baptism as a visible sign pointing to invisible realities. Paul says we "are baptized into Christ Jesus" (Romans 6:3). Baptism points to the fact we have died to ourselves and have come alive in Christ, which is why we baptize by immersion. Baptism also points to the coming of the Holy Spirit upon us "having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience" (Hebrews 10:22), which is why we also baptize by sprinkling. We differ from our Baptist friends in that we believe the sign of baptism is properly applied to children of believing parents (Acts 16:33). So we joyfully baptize infants as well as adults.
If you have been baptized in a Christian church, even as baby, we respectfully recognize this and encourage you to affirm this sacrament as you profess your faith in Christ. If you have NOT been baptized, then we will have the thrill of baptizing you on the Sunday your new member class is introduced in worship. If you would like your children to be baptized, please let us know and we'll schedule that separately.
Second, there are four categories of new members in the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.). You can join by:
- Confession of Faith - you've never joined a church before
- Confession of Faith with Baptism - you have not been baptized AND have never joined a church
- Reaffirmation of Faith - you have joined a church in the past but your membership is lapsed
- Transfer of Membership - you have a membership in another church and it is still active. You also give us contact info about your previous church and we'll ask them for a letter of transfer.
Step # 3
Attend a New Member Seminar, offered quarterly, on Saturday mornings from 9:00am to 12:00pm. Childcare is available with advance notice.
The dates for our remaining 2017 New Member Seminars are as follows (please contact us for the location):
- Saturday February 18
- Saturday, May 6
- Saturday, October 14
If you have questions regarding your faith, please contact Pastors Tom Theriault or Paula Taylor.
To sign up for a New Member Seminar, please contact Camille Clemens, or call her at 858-509-2580 x1207.
Thanks so much for taking the time to journey through this membership process. We pray that it was enlightening, enriching, and time well spent. If you have any comments or feedback, please let us know via email or by phone at 858-509-2580 x1207.